Monday, November 18, 2013

Two Forces That Should Never Be Underestimated: Community and Weather

After the past 48 hours, there is a lot I find myself thankful for, and I thought I would share what I have learned.

First, at the end of October, I had a call from Tall Guy while the girls and I were running around our Big Little town, Lafayette.  He wanted me to know that he just heard Scott and Kelly's house was on fire!  Scott is TG's cousin, and they live about two miles down our road.  HOLY MOLY!  Now you have to know that Scott and Kelly's house is smack in the middle of what we like to call Wallpe Corner because one cousin lives within shouting distance from their house, a brother lives a mile east, and we are the western end of the box.  Three of these homes were lived in by the generation before us, including Scott and Kelly's home. Scott grew up there.

Even before the smoke had literally cleared, we were scrambling to find clothing and essentials for this family of seven, and this wonderful community started to give.  They found a house to rent in town, everyone had the essentials as far as clothing and comforts, and still the community gave.  A fund was set up for them at a local bank, and we started organizing a Free Will Spaghetti Dinner and Silent Auction for November 16.

Meanwhile Tink's 5th grade teacher's husband was severely injured/burned on or about the same time, and a fund was set up for her as well.  The kids had a "NUT" day at school for her.  This means that if they paid a dollar, they could have a No Uniform Today break.  There are 89 kids at school, and that can be broken down to under 50 families, and those little darlings raised over $1200.00 for this family in one day!

In the past two-three weeks everyone has been scurrying around helping when and where they can with both families.  I am so excited to tell you that after the spaghetti dinner, silent auction, and a raucous auctioning off of left over desserts, a bit over $3000.00 was raised Saturday night.  This from a small town in a very small county of 8700 people.  I know that is a neighborhood for some of you!  WOW!

Then there was yesterday, and all the storms!  That provokes a very different WOW!  I knew they were coming; I think I have confessed to my obsession with watching the weather, but I like to know what is going to smack me before I get smacked. I like to be prepared.  Sometimes it all blows away before it gets to us, and other times it just about blows us away!   We escaped with just a few wind damages and electrical fluctuations, but we are pretty much untouched by what blew threw.  Others I know, some not very far a way were not so lucky.  Lafayette was hit, southern Tippecanoe County was hit hard, including the elementary school and junior high I attended way back when.  Pretty much all of Indiana was effected in some way as the line of storms blew through.  The girls are home from school today because a few of the schools within our district and many homes are still without power.

It's crazy, but you watch.....every little town will start to gather up what they have and take care of their own. Help will come to those in the bigger towns, and the rebuilding will start almost immediately.  It won't take a government mandate for people to step up to the line.  All it takes is for one person to see a need, and that ball of help seems to blast off before you can say, "Who?"

So I applaud all those out there today scrambling to help others, praying for those that need it, and giving their time and energy when and where it is needed.  YOU ALL ROCK!
Pin It

2 comments:

Prairie Mother said...

That's awesome! I've found that living in small communities is the best for just this very reason. Everyone is willing to help and give and volunteer. What a wonderful story! Keep us updated on how everyone is doing!

Michelle said...

Wonderful that everyone came together! That is what makes small towns/communities the best.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Real Time Analytics